12 November 2009

On 10.6.2 Again

A hackintosher who goes by the name "teateam" from insanelymac has posted a patched 10.2 kernel - Snow Leopard 10.6.2 - which reportedly restores support for the Atom processor that netbooks have under the hood.

image from teateam's post
This certainly looks promising as a fairly good number of users from insanelymac have confirmed it to work beautifully on their hackbooks.


Again, I haven't tried this one for my own self as my MacBook Mini's not with me right now, it's at my folks' home and I won't be having access to it until weekend when I go home. (Seriously, can I still consider myself a hackintosher? Rule #1 of the Hackintoshing Code "Always bring your hackintosh with you" joke!).


Anyhow, this little impediment doesn't stop my newbie hackintoshing sense to think about workarounds using great stuff from the real, great hardcore hackintoshers in the OSx86 realm.


This is what I'm thinking of doing this weekend, or to be more exact, this coming Friday night :



What I need: teateam's patched 10.2 mach_kernel, Mac OS X v10.6.2 Update -  Combo (to update from 10.6.0) or Delta (from 10.6.1) Updater


1) Unzip teateam's patched kernel. Rename it, for example, as "mach_kernel_atom" and put the file in my "/".
2) Go to my bootplist_update folder (/SnowLeoHPMini_101709/bootplist_update) and open com.apple.Boot.plist 
3) Add this key/string entry:
<key>kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel_atom</string>
and save my new com.apple.Boot.plist.
4) Drag and drop update.sh from bootplist_udpate into Terminal's window. Press Enter.
5) Go to my extensions_update folder (/SnowLeoHPMini_101709/extensions_update) and then move the current SleepEnabler.kext to _disabled folder. Then I'll copy Netkas' new SleepEnabler.kext into extensions_update
7) Drag drop the update.sh to Terminal's window and press Enter to begin updating my EFI partition where I have my bootloader stuff.
6) Quit Terminal. I have just configured Chameleon use the "mach_kernel_atom" from teateam every boot up.
6) Run the 10.6.2 Updater. I'll use the Delta updater since I'm already on 10.6.1. If I want to, I can also use the Combo Updater, it doesn't matter. However, if let's say, I still haven't updated to 10.6.1 yet (I'm still on stock 10.6), I'll have to use the Combo Updater.
7) Restart after the udpate completes.


Expected result:
Chameleon should use the patched kernel instead of the one that the updater installs on my "/", in lieu of my 10.6.1 (actually it's the same kernel used in stock 10.6). I'm expecting the 1st reboot round to not complete which is about as normal as any update in the past (with a prepped hackintosh/MacBoo Mini of course), but the 2nd one should complete and get me back to my Mac OS X Snow Leopard desktop. I should not be experiencing the dreaded "reboot loop".

2 comments:

tea said...

Hi. You have forgotten will replace SleepEnable.kext. Read netkas.org

LeMaurien19 said...

oh,right! Thanks for that.